Online Article Here
IT'S NOT EVERY DAY that the red carpet gets rolled out in the South Carolina Lowcountry. But spotlights will shine at this year’s Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival & Concours d’Elegance, as some of the biggest stars from film and TV will be in attendance. However, it’s not the two-legged stars that will be the ones on display. It’s the ones with four wheels.
This year’s "Life on the Silver Screen" exhibit will headline the Motoring Festival on Hilton Head Island, Saturday and Sunday, November 5 – 6, 2016 at the Port Royal Golf Club and showcase some of the best known vehicles from movies and television.
Charlotte resident and car enthusiast Rick Hendrick will send one of the stars of the exhibit from his personal collection: the NASCAR-inspired #46 City Chevrolet first driven by main character Cole Trickle, played by Hollywood legend Tom Cruise in the popular 1990 movie Days of Thunder. Hendrick, owner of Hendrick Motorsports, which supplied many of the cars used for production of the film, has been a long-time supporter of the Hilton Head Island Motoring Festival, bringing everything from a 1948 Chevrolet Stylemaster Sedan Delivery for the 2015 "Life on the Suburbs" exhibit to the 1968 Chevrolet Corvette L88 for the 2013 Concours d'Elegance.
Another standout of the exhibit is Disney-Pixar Cars star racer, Lightning McQueen, coming straight from Orlando’s Walt Disney World Resort. Celebrating 10 years since the release of the original, Jay Ward, creative director, Cars franchise at Pixar Animation Studios, will be on-hand to introduce McQueen. And in addition to the main show at Port Royal Golf Club, McQueen will make an appearance at Movie Night in the Park at Shelter Cove Towne Centre on Saturday, November 5, where attendees will watch Cars under the stars!
And it’s not just vehicles from already released films. The festival will even have vehicles from a yet-to-be-released major motion picture, with three vehicles from Live by Night, the 1920s gangster story line starring and directed by Ben Affleck and scheduled to come out in 2017.
Other vehicles set to appear include:
* a 1919 Pierce Arrow 66 A-4 Tourer – while it didn’t appear in film or television, the spectacular one-of-a-kind car was owned by silent film star “Fatty” Arbuckle
* a 1959 Bentley S-1 from Breakfast at Tiffany’s
* a 1963 Ferrari 250 California Spyder SWB that helped get the characters around town and famously met its demise at the tail end of Ferris Bueller’s Day Off, this year celebrating 30 years since the movie’s original release
* a 1968 Ford GT500, aka “Eleanor” from Gone in 60 Seconds
* a 1969 Dodge Charger from The Dukes of Hazzard
* a 1974 Dodge Monaco, the Blues Brothers “Bluesmobile”
* a 1983 DeLorean DMC-12, most recognizably known as the Time Machine from Back to the Future
* a 1992 Jeep Sahara from the Jurassic Park franchise
* and much more
While there will be over 500 vehicles on exhibit over the two days (November 5 & 6) at the Port Royal Golf Club, this handful of cars will sure to steal the spotlight and draw the crowds.
When: Saturday and Sunday, November 5 & 6, 2016 (9am to 4pm)
Where: Port Royal Golf Club (Hilton Head Island, SC)
Tickets: $50 (Available for purchase online)
For More Information: www.HHIMotoringFestival.com